Thursday, February 7, 2013

No One Wants to Disrupt an Adoption

To Whom it May Concern:

Wanted to give you an update on our situation.  I thought a LOT about everything you said.  I appreciate you taking the time to give me words of wisdom and advice from places you have been and what you feel in your heart.  I want you to now hear my heart…

I know that Ian is a very special little boy.  God arranged for us to go get him and pressed upon me then, that indeed Ian was meant to do great things for the Lord one day.  I still believe that whole heartily.  I feel strongly that he will thrive in his new family.  I believe God has really helped me find his family.  He has been in the details of this journey to find him his new home.  We have gone to great lengths to place him in a new home that can give Ian what he needs so that he can fulfill God’s will in his life.

I realize you see this differently, as you have a different prospective on the outside looking in.  I understand that.  I just want to let you know that even though you think we are taking the “easy way” out of this, we don’t feel that.  Disrupting an adoption is considered taboo in the adoption world.  It is not something anyone ever thinks will happen to them, or that they could ever do it.  We could continue to parent Ian, and continue to act like one big happy family to the outside world.  That would actually be the “easy” route here.  However, sometimes bad things happen to good people as they say.  We don’t know why, but God does. 

I feel that God has given us the courage to actually own the fact that Ian would be better in another house.  He will succeed in life with different parents.  We are not the parents meant to parent Ian for the rest of his life.  We have prayed and prayed that God would show us what to do.  How in the world could “I” actually disrupt an adoption.  I am the one helping others adopt.  I am the one who used to host an adoption support group every other month in my home with over 85 families.  I am the one who has helped personally find homes for over 60 children in the past 5 years.  How could I be the one to disrupt and fail at an adoption?

God has told me that this is the right decision.  We feel that even though this is not the road we ever anticipated, it is the road He has asked us to walk.  I believe I am being obedient to Him and doing what He is asking of us to do right now even though we may not understand the bigger picture.  Will there be heart break and sadness, of course.  Will this be the “easy” road, absolutely not.  I am trusting in Him to get me through it, to get all of us through it, to the other side where I hope to see Ian thriving in his new home.

I hope you can try to understand my heart.  This is certainly the road less taken, not a road I ever thought I would be asked to travel.  However, I hope that I can do it with your prayers and support as my family goes through this journey.
 
Sincerely,
The Broken Mom

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you were such a big part of Ian's story. Donna, you continue to inspire and encourage me by continuing to keep it real..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you should say you failed at adoption.....you are so much better at it than most people. You were simply a stepping stone in this particular adoption....not the destination.....both are equally important.

    ReplyDelete