My beginning email to her:
Subject: Visit
The kids have asked if they will ever be able to
visit with Ian again. I have put them off with a “we’ll see” each time
they ask to go visit Ian. Finally this weekend, they asked if they would
EVER really get to see Ian again. I want to be able to give them an
honest answer now.
Do you feel like a meeting together with
everyone at a park would be doable? I know the kids want to see him, but
I don’t want to cause your family any extra grief. So thought I would ask
what you thought about it?
--
D
Her reply:
D,
I want you to know that we take your request
very seriously and I don't want my response in any way to be conceived as
flippant or insensitive. R and I have talked about this and we have
prayed about it. Our response to a request for a visit is that it
would not be appropriate in the forseeable future. Our concern is what is
in Ian's best interests and is based on how he has processed all that has
happened.
All of that said, he is happy and
well-adjusted. He feels 100% at home. He loves N and J
and they love him. They have become a true little trio and play together
wonderfully. Ian is NOT the same boy we brought home. I think if you
could be a fly on the wall, you would probably not even recognize that he is
the same child.
We are simply not willing to open old wounds and
force him to deal with things he is not ready to deal with. What you need
to know is that we care very much about your family and think of you and pray
for you often.
Blessings,
T
To which I replied:
Subject: Re: Visit
Although it is tough to digest after everything
we put in to bringing him here, it is just more confirmation that he was not
attached to us at all. And that we made the right decision to disrupt,
and more importantly that God led us to the right family for him to thrive in.
Happy to hear that everyone is doing well.
I hope that one day you will explain to him that
we didn't just forget about him and go on about our lives like he was never
here. I hope he will one day come to understand that even though his past
is filled with hurts and what feels like rejection, that he knows that we were
part of God's plans to get him home to his true forever family.
Hope you guys are enjoying your summer together.
------
------
D
Her final response:
D,
Certainly, we will always tell him that your
family was an important part of his life and how you made sure that he found
his forever family. We are forever grateful to you for everything that
you did for Ian. We will be happy to continue to send pictures and
updates any time you guys want them.
------
So as you can see, some tough stuff. Disrupting an adoption is permanent...for everyone, including the siblings. S has had the hardest time with not seeing or communicating with him. Since I have told her that we will not be able to visit, she has asked a lot less frequently. Her little heart is finally beginning to heal I believe. The other kids ask about him every now and then, but it is rare.
Now whether or not I "agree" with the way she is handling his past, well that doesn't really matter now. I am fully convinced though that my instincts were correct and that we did the best thing we could do for Ian to have a better future. A future in THEIR family...not ours.
This is the pic from his first day of school this year.
Donna I didn't understand what happened and why you closed your other blog. I was shocked when I found out. What in the world did he do. I understand now. Thanks for being honest. No ones fault. But look at the out come! He is with his family and all is as it should be.
ReplyDeleteLOVE your heart in sharing this with everyone. LOVE seeing that smile on his face. You are one strong momma and thankful you are there for others going through this too!!!!!
ReplyDelete