Emotional
Vulnerabilities:
- I need help in
recognizing my adoption loss and help with grieving it.
- I need to be
assured that my birth parent's decision not to parent me had nothing to do
with anything defective in me.
- I need help in
learning how to deal with my fears of rejection-to learn that absence
doesn't mean abandonment or a closed door to an opportunity that I have
done something wrong.
- I need
permission to express ALL my adoption feelings and fantasies.
Educational
Needs:
- I need to be
taught that adoption is both wonderful and painful, presenting life-long
challenges for everyone involved.
- I need to know
my adoption story first, then my birth story and birth history.
- I need to be
taught healthy ways for getting needs met.
- I need to be
taught that others may make hurtful comments about adoption and about me
as adoptee.
- I need to be
taught that the hurtful words are usually well-intentioned and borne out
of ignorance.
- I need to be
taught specific ways to respond, in order to take my power back and not
feel victimized. (Suggestion: The
Wise-Up Workbook, by Marilyn Schoettle, M.Ed.)
Parental
Needs:
- I need parents
that are skillful in meeting their own emotional needs so that I can grow
up with healthy role models and be free to focus on my development, rather
taking care of them (by Connie Dawson, LPC).
- I need parents
that are willing to put aside pre-conceived ideas about adoption and be
educated about the realities and special challenges adoptive families
encounter.
- I need to hear
my parents openly express feelings about infertility and adoption, thus
producing a bond of intimacy between us.
- I need parents
who have grieved their own losses, such as infertility, miscarriage, death
of a child, etc., so that they can be emotionally available for me. This
is one of the greatest gifts they could give me.
- I need a
non-competitive attitude between adoptive and birth parents. Without this,
I will struggle with loyalty issues.
Relationship
Needs:
- I need
friendships with fellow adoptees.
- I need to be
taught that there is a time to consider searching for my birth family and
a time to give up searching.
- I need to be
assured often that if I am rejected by my birth relatives, it is
symptomatic of their dysfunction, not mine.

No comments:
Post a Comment