Exactly 2 years ago today I was in China changing this little one's life forever. Now of course it didn't quite turn out the way that I had planned. But I do believe it was God's plan.
I received these pics today from his mom. She said that he is doing as well as expected. She is happy that she has finally received some answers as to his medical conditions and behavior concerns. He has been formally diagnosed now with FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome).
Signs of fetal alcohol syndrome may include:
- Distinctive facial features, including small eyes, an exceptionally thin upper lip, a short, upturned nose, and a smooth skin surface between the nose and upper lip
- Deformities of joints, limbs and fingers
- Slow physical growth before and after birth
- Vision difficulties or hearing problems
- Small head circumference and brain size (microcephaly)
- Poor coordination
- Mental retardation and delayed development
- Learning disorders
- Abnormal behavior, such as a short attention span, hyperactivity, poor impulse control, extreme nervousness and anxiety
- Heart defects
Doctors may use other terms to describe some of the signs of fetal alcohol syndrome. An alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder is a mental or behavioral impairment that occurs as a result of fetal exposure to alcohol. Alcohol-related birth defects are physical defects that occur from fetal alcohol exposure.
You can also see more details here: http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/features/fetal-alcohol-syndrome
He seems to completely fit the profile indeed...sigh. I am happy to know that she is getting him the help he needs and working with a multitude of psychologists and specialists to make sure that he has the best future possible. I pray that he gets the right care and attention to be the man God intended for him to be. I am certain that his family can use all the extra prayers they can get to make sure that happens. So thank you if you have been praying for this little guy over the past two years.
He looks very happy which is an answer to prayers. Having a diagnosis is soooo helpful as his parents are now able to head in the right direction in all areas of his life. It is still amazing that it has been 2 years. You and CJ did a wonderful job. Don't ever doubt yourselves. God know what he is doing even when we don't understand everything.
ReplyDelete