Friday, October 25, 2013

Found Money

I was recently doing some research, and thought that I would share some valuable info with you guys too :)  It doesn't take long, but you might find some unknown money just floating around out there for yourself.  Go check it out.  I found 3 different claims for my company already!

I got this info from this blog:  http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2010/07/26/how-to-find-unclaimed-money-and-unclaimed-property-online/#

Here are the methods Consumer Reports recommends for finding and reclaiming lost property (along with a few tools I found on my own):
The U.S. government also has an official government may owe you money page where you can check for unclaimed property, mortgage refunds, and more. Also, my buddy Jeff Rose recommends visiting GovBenefits.gov to see if you qualify for any government benefits. (DisasterAssistance.gov lets you see if you qualify for disaster-relief programs.)
The Money Adviser article provides more information about working with each of these sources. And, of course, the individual websites have detailed instructions for locating unclaimed money and other assets.

Search for unclaimed money by state

In addition to those national searches, each state has a department for unclaimed money and unclaimed property. I found a page that linked to all of these different resources, but the site was woefully out of date. So, I spent a warm Sunday afternoon in my non-air-conditioned office tracking down the current locations of each state’s unclaimed property office. (And I’ve included some info for Canadians, too.) Please let me know if you spot any errors or broken links!

No comments:

Post a Comment