Thursday, October 29, 2015

End of Tragedy for Many

Today China officially ended their One Child Policy country wide...FINALLY. Here is what an adult adoptee had to say about the news this am:

It's 7am. Imagine you're a Chinese adoptee on your way to work and you get a notification from the NY Times with this message: "China to End One-Child Policy, Allowing All Families Two Children"

I felted winded. My stomach dropped. My eyebrows raised. I managed a small chuckle. Talk about feeling a mix of emotions. A small recording of the conversations in my head:
- "YOU'RE 25 YEARS TOO LATE, CHINA!!" (hence the chuckle)
- "Wow, imagine all the women and families who won't have to make so many tough choices."
- "Ugh, will my birth mom see this and feel even more remorse and guilt for what she gave up?"
- "Imagine how this is going to change adoptions from China."
- "Well, this is the closest to an apology I'll ever get for the political situation I was born into..."
- "Note to self: China is only doing this to combat the aging population policy..."
- "Yay, finally, maybe there will be less spoiled only-children roaming around China [because they'll have siblings]!"
- "Wait, will this actually change anything?"
- "Yes, well, errr, maybe. Either way, I wish this happened about three decades ago."
- "How can something so political feel so personal?"

Here's the article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/30/world/asia/china-end-one-child-policy.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

No comments:

Post a Comment