Monday, June 3, 2013

Finally THEIRS

I received a text today from Ian's new family.  It said, "It is final!  Hallelujah!  God is good.  Got to court and the case had been asigned to a new judge.  Wonderful Christian man!" 

Today was their official adoption day to permanently adopt Ian into their family.  It is done.

It is a rather bittersweet moment for me to think about everything that has transpired over the last year.  I am actually very happy that court went well, and that the adoption is final.  On one hand, I am sad that things didn't go as I had origiallyplanned in 2011, yet on the other hand, I am very relieved that the adoption went through and that they didn't change their minds about wanting Ian.  The guardianship paperwork was written as that Ian would be returned to our home, IF they decided not to adopt him.  So I also had this underlying "fear" that he might come back into our home.  That fear has been released now. 

Really though, I am very happy that Ian is happy, even though that means he is not in our home. 

Our family is not perfect of course, yet we are a regular family now that loves each other and seems to fit together like peanut butter and jelly.  Ian was like a piece of ham in the middle, didn't really fit in our sandwich, and seemed to keep the peanut butter and jelly folks always apart.  Happy that we were able to find him a family that needed a piece of ham added to their sandwich.

Obviously I have simplified things here for bloggy world.  No need to hash out all of the "issues" we had with Ian living in our family.  I did receive word that they now have him on some much needed meds, and that he will be held back another year in school to see if that helps him with some issues.  Hopefully, they will continue to help Ian learn how to live in America and to find his own way of working within a family unit.

As for me, this finality of court, gives me a peace to move on without the fear of him being rejected by another family.  That was my worst fear as we were interviewing families for him.  I am relieved to see that they are happy with him, and are making a future with him in their family.  God is watching over him and us, and for that, I am so very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment